Sunday, October 21, 2012

The expectation and anticipation: Sushiya

I am someone who sees the skies as only a partial limit when it comes to eating food.  I like trying everything, and make it a habit to push my comfort zones or order whatever I can't pronounce.  Therefore, for my "border crossing" I was going to go to Fuel and eat with a vegan's set of rules, but seeing as Fuel is closed until the beginning of November, I've since replanned.
I have a lot of history with Sushi.  When I was growing up I had a Japanese AuPair for a year who introduced my Mom and I to the sushi she knew from back at home.  After she returned, sushi became that favorite meal when we wanted to do something special.  And it wasn't just sushi, but chirashi and sashimi, and other things like like to tickle my tongue when I say them.  I extensively knew what I liked and didn't like from the menu at Yotsuba, our favorite Japanese restaurant back in Ann Arbor, MI.
When I asked my Vegan friend where she could easily eat in Kalamazoo with her vegan dietary restrictions, she said Zoorona, Saffron, Fuel, and Sushiya.  Seeing as I had already been to the other two, Sushiya is the new game plan.  When looking it up online to find out its hours, it described itself as a korean and japanese sushi bar.  The korean threw me for a bit.  It's called Sushiya, which makes me think of sushi.  I had no idea that there was such a thing in Korea.
When I try to picture the space, I think of low warm tones of noise with black lacquered furniture and velvety cushions, warm orche walls with silk-screen images of bamboo and red tategaki characters, and little tea lights accenting the center of the table, and no televisions tucked in corners making white noise.  The sushi culture I know has always been intimate, calm, relaxing, with a cup of green tea to the upper right of my plate and a soup course happily slurped before the main meal.  
As someone whose favorite cuts are octopus, eel, salmon roe, and squid, It will be an interesting night of ordering vegetable sushi, which I know nothing about.  I'm afraid of being severely disappointed, not in the food, but in what wont be on my plate.  I will miss the hunk of tuna embellished by vegetables wrapped together in a taste medley of seaweed and rice.  How much can you do with cucumber and carrots by themselves?  I suppose I will be finding out.  Any dietary limitation is scary to me.  I can't imagine what some of the people in our class goes through, having to check every little last item to make sure it doesn't impede on dietary limitations.  I take my allergy-and-restriction-less body for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment